Yes I only started this book three days ago, but as luck would have it, part of my birthday present from David was that I got to do what ever I wanted this weekend. Which funny enough didn't include dishes, laundry,or mopping my floor, it was all guilt free!!! What a wonderful gift! My guilt basket is very light.
Uglies is another Young Adult book. Shayleigh begged me to read it a few months ago so it has been on my list for a bit. The funny thing is, that as I was reading it her girlfriends from our ward kept stopping in. As it turns out they were doing a garage sale just two houses down for a fund raiser for girls camp. They came by for various reasons, bathroom breaks, Popsicles and basically hiding from their leaders. It was funny though ,they would see what I was reading and say to me "I loved that book, what part are you on?"
It was a total page turner and hard to put down. I found out after while flipping through the book that this book was shaped by a series of e-mail exchanges between the author and a Mr. Ted Chiang about his story "Liking What You See: A Documentary. I love knowing background stuff on the process the author takes on writing.
The book is about a society where you are considered an Uglie until you turn 16, at that time you are taken for your operation to be made pretty. If your eyes are too small, your lips thin or what ever that is all fixed and you become pretty and live in pretty town where all you do is dress in pretty clothes and go to parties. As the Uglies grow up from littlies they are told that this is the ultimate life and for most of them that is all they want. They can't wait to become pretty and that is all they think about.
Although as with any civilization there are those who decide that maybe they don't want to become and look like everyone else. They want to live life on their own terms.
The main character Tally meets a girl named Shay who isn't sure she wants to be a pretty, she would rather live on the outside with other Uglies. Tally doesn't really believe Shay and thinks she is just nervous about turning pretty. After Shay disappears Tally learns that there is a part of pretty world that is not so pretty. The authorities tell her she can't have her operation unless she finds Shay and brings her back, and if she doesn't she will stay uglie forever.










0 comments:
Post a Comment